Ask Tenants blog
Here is what we the tenants have achieved together in 2016 –
1. Abolition of letting agent fees for tenants announced and will now undergo consultation to be embedded as law (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38065249)
2. London Living Rent where a 2 bedroom London flat will cost below £1,000 in rent announced – (http://tinyurl.com/z9psvvt)
3. Ban on rogue landlords protecting millions of tenants is being planned (http://tinyurl.com/zyfq6pc)
4. Airbnb announces to block hosts in London from renting out homes for more than 90 days a year without official consent. Landlords can no longer use their homes as ‘backdoor hotels’ reducing supply of homes available for rent. (http://tinyurl.com/zudj7jt)
5. Buy to Let tax changes making Buy to Let investments less attractive which means more properties available for First Time Buyers instead of Buy to Let investors – homes are for living not for trading. (http://tinyurl.com/gn4nvgm)
6. Laws to protect tenants from revenge evictions so that tenants are not evicted just because they asked for repairs. (http://tinyurl.com/hrxtftz)
7. New regulation on carbon monoxide and smoke alarms in rented properties and £5,000 fine to landlords who violate this regulation. (http://tinyurl.com/hd2ptc5)
8. Thousands of tenants have now rated their rental property and landlord on Asktenants.co.uk – making it difficult for rogue landlords with a bad review to rent or sell their property and at the same time rewarding good landlords with positive reviews. We are creating the right kind of competitive pressure.
We still have lot to do – build more affordable homes, ensure above announcements become laws as soon as possible, taxes on empty homes, limits on foreign buyers, rent regulations/caps, modular housing, millions of landlords/properties to rate and lot more.
We promise to keep you updated in 2017 with all the news. Please give us a thumbs up by reviewing your former/current rental property and landlord on Asktenants.co.uk – your reviews will keep us going in 2017.